SC - structural gingerbread

James Gilly / Alasdair mac Iain alasdair.maciain at snet.net
Sun Dec 5 15:22:07 PST 1999

Leanna of Sparrowhaven commented:
>      I'll probably spend Christmas with cousins.  This time I'm planning to
> bake beef brisket, make my favorite date-nut candy and bake Pizzelles.  One
> of my goals is to try Stephen's wafer recipe on my electric pizzelle maker.

huh? I think I better correct something here. Maybe you are thinking of some
of the recipes in Stefan's Florilegium file wafers-msg, but any of the recipes
or redactions in there are not mine. I'm not to that level of expertise yet.
Even the dessert course for the Noble's Dinner I cooked was done from other's
redacted recipes.

I cooked the same sweet wafer recipe for our pot-luck Yule
Revel last night. Part of my effort to introduce period food, and specifically
wafers, to my region. They went over well and there were no leftovers. I had
hoped to do some savory wafers for this event, in part because it would act
as a dry run for the Royalty lunch I am doing for Candlemas, but I'm afraid
I'm not quite up to standing long times experimenting in the kitchen with
new redactions yet.

>      I still have four gallons of mead brewing.  Basic lemon, apple, plain
> and cinnamon-clove.  Ox, the local brewer has custody at his house.  He
> says they're ready to bottle.  I may end up putting it in canning jars.

If you are planning on bottling this mead while fermentation is still
going on to get a bubbly mead, you might want to be cautious about using
canning jars. I've always done this with champagne bottles because I
wasn't sure other bottles would withstand the preasure. Unfortunately, if
stored together one exploding bottle can often set off a chain-reaction
with all the nearby bottles going up. Quite a sticky mess with mead. I have
only done a little small-scale brewing, though. Perhaps Puck or others can
confirm or deny this.

The other disadvantage of canning jars is the wide mouth. This may lead
to higher oxidation of the beverage. I don't know if this is a concern
with mead or not.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net