SC - vegemite

Susan P Laing Susan.P.Laing at mainroads.qld.gov.au
Sun Dec 5 16:47:26 PST 1999

> On Wednesday, though, florilegium.org was still down; glad
> to see it's back.  We've never lost a server due to lightning, but got
> flash-fried modem a couple times.
>
> Vika
> I love the smell of fried modem in the morning

Yes, the Florilegium was not online again until last Monday morning. (Nov.
29?). My appologies. This took a bit longer than I had hoped to, to fix.
But my web host is a friend in Dallas who hopes to get into the web
hosting business. Right now, the price is right (free) and it is practically
the only thing on a T3 line (fast, for those who aren't technically inclined
on this) and it is fairly close to the Internet main trunk lines. So there is
less delay in getting info to you, the user. The diadvantage is that he
doesn't
yet have backup computers sitting ready to swap out as some of the bigger web
host sites do. And we are having to put together the statistics packages and
FTP sites and such that these other commercial web hosters have already done.
I can't afford the $50 or more per month that most sites would want to host
the Florilegium. Both the size (120 Mbytes+) and traffic put it way outside
of what the cheaper sites will take on. If you look in the small print even
the so-called "unlimited" sites would shut me down.

Sorry if this is too far off topic for this list, but, as a group, you may
be one of the biggest users of the Florilegium. Something I have no way
of confirming until we get some data analysis packages running. sigh. And
I thought some of you might be interested in this status info.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net