SV: SC - Currant vodka cheese

Brokk H940114 at stud.kol.su.se
Tue Dec 7 05:25:24 PST 1999

Huette von Ahrens wrote:

> --- Robin Carroll-Mann <harper at idt.net> wrote:
> > Granado has several recipes for buñuelos.  The first
> > sounds as though it
> > would work well with those Scandanavian rosette
> > irons.  The second is
> > a leavened fritter, and the third recipe ("different
> > buñuelos") is for polenta
> > fritters.
>
> There is a Hispanic bakery here in So. California by
> the name of Bimbo, who sells [amongst other things]
> packages of the Scandanavian rosettes under the name
> "Bimbunuelos".  So they are calling rosettes bunuelos
> in Spanish.  If you can trust a company that calls
> itself "bimbo" ... :-)
>
> Huette

Good point. But bimbo didn't mean, in English, what it currently does
until perhaps 25 years ago. What it might mean in Spanish I wouldn't
want to bet on. But the image of the baker getting long blonde hair
caught in the car door is an arresting one...

Adamantius (who, having made his apolitically-incorrect comment for the
day, will move on)
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com