SC - high grain all-natural vinegar?

Brian L. Rygg or Laura Barbee-Rygg rygbee at montana.com
Wed Dec 8 21:53:17 PST 1999

And it came to pass on 8 Dec 99,, that Jeff Gedney wrote:

> > I went ahead and baked the extra-almond batch.  They rose less,
> > spread out more, became hollow inside, and crumbled to pieces when I
> > attempted to remove them from the baking sheet.
> >

> I thought that they might. the meringe seems to be the "base" of this
> confection. the meringe was not able to hold together because the oil
> interfered with the egg white's self-adhesion, and the bubbles broke.

This explains, I think, why the recipe gives a specific quantity for the
almonds.

> Just some ideas off the top of my head
> Try putting the almonds on absorbent paper and putting them in a 200
> degree oven overnight to reduce the oil content... Perhaps you can use
> blanched almonds ( does anybody know if that actually reduces the oil? I
> don't know...)

The recipe calls for blanched almonds.  In any case, I don't think there's
much oil in the skin.

> Use an almond extract ( not almond oil ) to "punch up" the
> flavor (yeah, I know, not period) Add another spice to "augment" the
> Almond flavor, like vanilla bean, or nutmeg. Dont double the almonds, just
> add half again, as much. I think the recipe called for 12, add 18.

This last option I am considering.  But first I should probably work out
the optimum amount of sugar and baking time/temperature.

> Form what I have seen of a Lot of period confections, any flavor was
> rather subtle in the sugar taste.

Perhaps that's the best solution to the almond flavor problem: just
accept that this is intended to be a very sweet, mildly flavored item.

> I think there is a recipe for anise
> comfits that is essentially a ball of sugar with a tiny anise seed in the
> middle. The anise flavor is not that intense until you hit the seed.

How many licks does it take to get to the center of... never mind.

> > Wasn't it Edison who said optimistically that a hundred failed
> > experiments meant that he knew a hundred ways *not* to make a light
> > bulb?  I feel that I am becoming an expert on how not to make melindres.
> >  :-)
>
> Keep it up, this is how we found out how to not make Cuskynowles...
> ;-)

We Don't Go There.  :-)

> brandu

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain