SC - Random excursion in to salad recipes - oop

Seton1355@aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Thu Dec 9 05:24:06 PST 1999

Margali asked:
> Anybody have a good gingerbread recipe for the type of flat gingerbread
> that you make houses and sotleties out of? I want to do a gingerbread
> castle or treasure chest for our christmas party at work this year...

I assume you are talking about period gingerbread and not that insipid.. er
more highly aerated modern gingerbread. Check this file in the FOOD-SWEETS
section of my Florilegium for recipes, hints and directions:
gingerbread-msg   (39K)  5/25/99    Medieval gingerbread. Recipes.

> [also any hints on making stained glass windows? I was thinking of using
> a sheet of buttered parchement and piping the 'leading' of royal icing
> and then pouring melted candies in the areas made by the royal icing,
> and then fitting it into cutouts in the castle walls...]

I believe the techniques for this are covered in this file in the same
section:
candy-msg        (136K)  9/23/99    Period candy. Recipes. Candied fruit peels.
sotelties-msg    (152K)  4/15/99    Sotelties and Warners - decorated food.
   (I think the first one is the better choice. If not check the second)
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net