SC - lebkuchen

cclark@vicon.net cclark at vicon.net
Thu Dec 9 09:15:24 PST 1999

In my Grandmother's papers is a recipe that she said was written in her
mother's hand in the late 1800's. Since I have no experience with old recipes
maybe some one here could help me? She also has recipes for a Never Fail
Sponge Cake and a Peach Cobbler. Those are easier to understand. If anyone
wants the recipe for those too I can post them.

Gentleman's Favorite
7 eggs, whites and yolks beaten seperately; 2 cups sugar and 1/2 butter
worked to a cream; 1 tablespoon of water, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 2 cups
flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bake in jelly tins.
Jelly for same
1 egg, 1 cup sugar, 3 (I think) grated apples with out the peeelings, 1 lemon
grated. stir till it thickens. Cool before using.

What is this? How long should I cook it at what temp.? What is a jelly tin?
What do I use the jelly for? I know this is probably obvious to some of you
who have more experience.
Thanks!

Peldyn