SC - Help with old recipe (OOP)

Peldyn@aol.com Peldyn at aol.com
Thu Dec 9 10:21:58 PST 1999

Peldyn wrote:
>Gentleman's Favorite
>7 eggs, whites and yolks beaten seperately; 2 cups sugar and 1/2 butter
>worked to a cream; 1 tablespoon of water, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 2 cups
>flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bake in jelly tins.
>Jelly for same
>1 egg, 1 cup sugar, 3 (I think) grated apples with out the peeelings, 1 lemon
>grated. stir till it thickens. Cool before using.

A few more suggestions to add to Adamantius':

Use medium eggs, or large, but not extra large. I would guess that the
butter and sugar were creamed, then added to the beaten egg yolks, the water
and baking powder added next (perhaps mixed together immediately before
stirring in, since in the later 19th century some people were still used to
having to mix their own leavenings), with the flour and salt going in
immediately afterwards. The whipped egg whites were probably folded in last.
BTW, was there any unit for the butter?

The apples should be a flavorful and relatively tart variety. Since the
lemon is "grated," I suspect that this might mean lemon zest only. In any
case, the jelly would not likely be improved by the inclusion of white rind,
tough membranes, or seeds. If you even experiment with using the innards of
the lemon at all, use only the juice or (at most) the soft pulp. On the
other hand, grating some lemon zest makes a grate opportunity for fresh
lemonade.

Alex Clark/Henry of Maldon