SC - Help with old recipe (OOP)

Jeff Gedney JGedney at dictaphone.com
Thu Dec 9 15:03:44 PST 1999

> Welcome to Hell.
>
> My strainer is a pretty fine mesh, and even a soft quince requires a
> heck of a lot of effort to get through there.  I pushed, rubbed, and
> snarled for as long as it took the goop reached room temperature, and
> over half of it was still on the wrong side of the mesh.  As a test, I put
> a big spoonful into the blender, but the consistency was definitely
> different; it wouldn't do.

If you don't have one, you need a new kitchen toy.  ;>  You need a cone-shaped
strainer with the accompanying pointy wooden tool.  It acts like a mortar and
pestle, except that the mortar is a mesh. (Or do I have that backwards?)  Best
tool I have ever used for making fruit sauces.  They are expensive at the
kitchen store, but you can sometimes find parts cheap at the flea market or
secondhand stores.  I think the last time I priced a set new, it was 10-40 for
the strainer depending on size, and 25-75 for the wooden tool.  (U.S. dollars)
I picked up my wooden bit at the flea market for 2 dollars.

Hope this helps,
- -Magdalena