SC - Re: .food riddle and query

Lilinah biti-Anat lilinah at grin.net
Fri Dec 10 00:38:53 PST 1999

In a message dated 12/9/99 8:20:34 PM Eastern Standard Time, kerelsen at ptd.net
writes:

<<
 My lady, if you are willing to take a day or so and have the
 space to do it, you can make your own powdered malt by sprouting
 wheat berries until the sprouts are about the same length as the
 berrie itself, spread them on a baking sheet and toast in a 250 F
 oven until golden brown and crisp (about ten minutes IIRC).  Let
 cool completely and pulverize in a food processor or grind in a
 mortar and pestle.  Viola!  Malt powder...

 (Process courtesy of a church group's lesson on what to do with
 fifty pounds of wheat berries...) >>

    Hummm, I've read of this procedure--keep meaning to do it, in fact--but I
thought it created the diastatic malt, which I was under the impression was a
different beastie than the stuff I Iove in my milkshakes. BTW, the groceries
around here (Chattanooga, TN, mundanely) do carry malt powder, though not
always consistently..........

                        Ldy Diana