SC - Re: .food riddle and query

Wade Hutchison whutchis at bucknell.edu
Fri Dec 10 06:53:38 PST 1999

> Second question--one of my friends would like to locate a source of
> powdered
> malt, like the malt that the man at the corner candystore used to put into
>
> the milkshake to make it into a malted.  I haven't found any sources--King
>
> Arthur Flour sells diastolic malt, but that's not the same.  Do you think
> malt syrup would work?
>
> Devra the Baker -- mka Devra Langsam

What you are actually looking for is malted milk, which is a blend of
powdered milk, malted barley, and wheat flour.  It's used to malt various
confections.  The last time I saw some was a few years ago at Safeway.

You might be able to get away with malt syrup, but it is very viscous and
has a very concentrated malt flavor, which doesn't work well where delicate
flavoring is required.

Bear