SC - Re: .food riddle and query

cclark@vicon.net cclark at vicon.net
Fri Dec 10 23:44:05 PST 1999

Malt was definitely known in period.  Malted barley was a major product in
the Hanseatic League trade.  I believe you will also find malted grain being
used in Assyrian and Egyptian brewing.

Malting increases the enzymes, particularly diatase, in the grain which
convert starch to sugar and enhances fermentation processes such as brewing
and baking.

If you look at the ingredient labels, you'll find malt in a lot of odd
places, primarily as a flavoring agent.

Bear