SC - Language (was: .food riddle and query)

cclark@vicon.net cclark at vicon.net
Sat Dec 11 00:28:39 PST 1999

Bernadette wrote:
> ... What term
>would you use to describe individual grains of wheat (so I can
>make correct reference in the future)?

Aside from "wheat kernels" (which works as a replacement for "wheat
berries") I'd call them just what you did just now: "grains of wheat." The
former term seems to imply that they are being distinguished from wheat in
other forms (flour, etc.), the latter that they are being counted. I don't
quite know why, and it's too near my bedtime to think about it.

Though even "wheat berries" are not as imprecise as "grape nuts." :-) Do
grapes have nuts? Do nuts have grapes?

Alex Clark/Henry of Maldon