SC - malt

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Dec 11 06:46:45 PST 1999

"Michael F. Gunter" wrote:

> I go by Jacques Pepin says. Take a potato peeler and peel the zest off. A
> paring knife will trim away any white. Then mince with a knife. Works for
> me and actually is kinda fun.

I've been told by various Big Hats (i.e. executive chefs, generally
people who effectively have signed my paychecks) over the years that
this method is okay for garnishing purposes, especially if cut into a
chiffonade (more or less an extra-fine julienne), but that it doesn't
release as much of the citrus oil as grating does, and unless cooked a
lot, leaves a kinda crunchy, gritty mouth feel.

These are, of course, subjective judgements.

I usually use the chiffonade method when I want it visible, and use a
fine grater when I don't. A fork or even a pastry brush, not to mention
the ever-faithful whack of the grater against the inner side of the
mixing bowl, are pretty effective in getting the grated zest off the grater.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com