SC - Check out Artstar.com - Everything Art

Seton1355@aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Sun Dec 12 18:58:03 PST 1999

BTW everyone- Seumas and I will post a post-mortem on the feast
yesterday as soon as we've slept it off- it was... an experience!

Buttercup1126 at aol.com wrote:

> women often brewed beer and ale, is this true?  did they do everything, as in
> the whole process, or just parts of it?

Mattie,

	Yes, women did most of the brewing (nearly all of it in the lower and
middle classes is my understanding). It frequently was a major
supplement to the household income- one would brew a batch, put the
ale-stake in the yard, and they would come (not unlike folks who will go
where a 'Garage Sale' sign is up). Usually sold by the dipper, but
larger quantites could be taken away. Some women went in for much larger
endeavors- the famed Margery Kempe bought a brewing business (apparently
a business that could be run by a woman without question) and it failed
miserably, something she chalked up to her being out of God's will. But
fact is, she was a married woman and the Mayor's daughter, and it was
acceptable practice to brew...
	And yes, the whole process, from the start of the brew batch to the
sale. There are quite a few accounts and recipes of brewing, some of
them quite gross. And I agree with Adamantius- get ahold of a copy of
Henisch's _Fast and Feast_ for a thorough treatment of food, food prep,
and attitudes around food. My copy is quite worn out...

'Lainie