SC - egg sizes

Nanna Rognvaldardottir nanna at idunn.is
Mon Dec 13 05:06:16 PST 1999

There is a good book about the role of women in the brewing industry in england.  It's by Judith M. Bennett, and is titled "Ale, Beer and Brewsters in England: women's work in a changing world, 1300-1600.  ISBN 0-19-507390-8.

It highlights the roles women played in the brewing industry in England.  Maltsters were a different group, generally, since the technology/tools required to malt grain are completely different from that needed for brewing.  Malting requires a commitment of 3-5 days of raking room-sized beds of grain semi- constantly inorder to germinate it, then ovens and fires to dry it.  Too much labor-time required in earlier days when that same time would be needed for the brewing.  It may have been different for smaller manners and households; I haven't really read anything about brewing in smaller manors as it seems what I read has them goimg to the town/villagew brewster for their ales.

niccolo difancesco

sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG wrote:
> women often brewed beer and ale, is this true?  did they do everything, as in the whole process, or just parts of it?

mattie
buttercup1126 at aol.com