SC - appealing zests

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 13 10:22:55 PST 1999

>          Second point: Egyptian brewing apparently started with a sort of
> bread made from malted grain and fruit which was steeped in warm water and
> allowed to spontaneously ferment.  I can dig up more details if anyone
> is interested, although it has little bearing on medieval brewing
> practices.
>          -----Gille MacDhnouill

The Sumerian "Hymn to Ninkasi" describes brewing beer with barley bread
(bappir) and malted grain (most likely barley, as it was the most plentiful
available grain).   You might try the following website for the article with
the details:

http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/sci.anthropology/texts/domestication/bee
r_alone

The barley bread described is still common in the Middle East.

Bear