SC - egg sizes

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Dec 13 17:03:43 PST 1999

Malt has been used back to Sumerian times and prolly before.  It is
impossible to make beer or ale without it.  Now I'm not gonna get into the
terminology/semantics battle currently underway, but the original question
can be answered two ways.  Was malt used in period?  Yes, absolutely,
regardless of what you construe period to be, it was, and long before.  Was
the term malt used in period?  Dunno.  I defer to Miriam.

Regards, Puck

Malted wheat and oats were used in monastic breweries since 14th
century, according to inventories.  Also, the German purity laws seem to
suggest something was being malted (mostly wheat) other than barley that
had to be outlawed.

niccolo difrancseco