SC -OOP, OT, Humor (was: Sweets to the sweet, have somefruitcake...)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Dec 14 11:46:44 PST 1999

In a message dated 12/14/99 10:53:22 AM Eastern Standard Time, troy at asan.com
writes:

<<
 "IRISH CHRISTMAS CAKE
    <from Malachi McCormick's "Irish Country Cooking", ©1988 Malachi
 McCormick, pub. Clarkson N. Potter, NY>

    This is the Great Irish Cake, the traditional pièce de résistance, into
 which the Irish cook/baker sank her, and sometimes his, main effort --
 and reputation. >>

    Oh, my--a great recipe, but it got me to humming a particular ditty so
I'm going to inflict it upon the rest of you! (BEG) From the Digital
tradition website (http://www.mudcat.org/folksearch.cfm):

- --
 MISS FOGARTY'S CHRISTMAS CAKE

As I sat in my window last evening,
The letterman brought it to me
A little gilt-edged invitation sayin'
"Gilhooley come over to tea"
I knew that the Fogarties sent it.
So I went just for old friendships sake.
The first think they gave me to tackle
Was a slice of Miss Fogarty's cake.

cho: There were plums and prunes and cherries,
There were citrons and raisins and cinnamon, too
There was nutmeg, cloves and berries
And a crust that was nailed on with glue
There were caraway seeds in abundance
Such that work up a fine stomach ache
That could kill a man twice after eating a slice
Of Miss Fogarty's Christmas cake.

Miss Mulligan wanted to try it,
But really it wasn't no use
For we worked in it over an hour
And we couldn't get none of it loose
Till Murphy came in with a hatchet
And Kelly came in with a saw
That cake was enough be the powers above
For to paralyze any man's jaws

Miss Fogarty proud as a peacock,
Kept smiling and blinking away
Till she flipped over Flanagans brogans
And she spilt the homebrew in her tea
Aye Gilhooley she says you're not eatin,
Try a little bit more for me sake
And no Miss Fogarty says I,
For I've had quite enough of your cake

Maloney was took with the colic,
O'Donald's a pain in his head
Mc'Naughton lay down on the sofa,
And he swore that he wished he was dead
Miss Bailey went into hysterics
And there she did wriggle and shake
And everyone swore they were poisoned
Just from eating Miss Fogarty's cake

Recorded on Mick Moloney & Eugene O'Donnell's Green Linnet
album "Uncommon Bonds". The truly memorable cooking
disasters in our house go by this name. JCH
Note: An abbreviated version appears in Folk Songs Out of
Wisconsin, Peters, collected in 1941. RG
@Irish @food @Xmas
filename[ FOGRTCAK
JCH