SC - Cranberries and Lingonberry Jamup (long)

cclark@vicon.net cclark at vicon.net
Tue Dec 14 13:28:47 PST 1999

Adamantius wrote:
>"IRISH CHRISTMAS CAKE
> <from Malachi McCormick's "Irish Country Cooking", ©1988 Malachi
>McCormick, pub. Clarkson N. Potter, NY>

Strange ... when I read this text a few minutes ago, I thought: Hey, wasn´t
I reading this earlier today. Sure enough, in Darina Allen´s Traditional
Irish Cooking, there is a recipe for Christmas Cake - not the same recipe,
many similiarities though, but not the same. But here are a few examples
from the introducion:

McCormick
> This is the Great Irish Cake, the traditional pièce de résistance,
Allen:
"... for this traditional pièce de résistance ..."

McCormick:
> At home, the night for Christmas cake making was mysteriously chosen,
>toward the end of October or the beginning of November.
Allen:
"... a day towards the end of October or early November was chosen."

McCormick:
>My mother never
>lacked for little helpers who shopped for the dried fruit and candied
>peel, and who chopped and sliced and stirred, so willingly...
Allen:
"Making the cake was a family affair and in our family there was no shortage
of eager helpers. As children we stoned the muscatel raisins, washed and
halved the jewel-like cherries, diced the chunks of candied peel and citron
and even helped with the laborious creaming of butter and soft Barbados
sugar."'

McCormick:
>Soon the house would be filled with
>that most seductive of perfumes, the rich smell of home baking.
Allen:
"... soon the seductive smells of home baking filled the house."

McCormick:
> By the time Christmas came around, both the cake and our anticipation
>of it had matured perfectly.
Allen:
"By the time Christmas came round everyone was in a fever of anticipation."

Coincidence?

Nanna