SC - redacting

Brian L. Rygg or Laura Barbee-Rygg rygbee at montana.com
Tue Dec 14 15:35:07 PST 1999

cclark at vicon.net wrote:

> Alys Katharine wrote:
> > ... Martha's hands are not too far away and the egg looks like it would
> >comfortably fit in her fist, about the same size as in the previous still
> >life.  Again, it looks more like a "large".
>
> But what size were the people? While many modern Americans are L, XL, XXL,
> etc., period people tended to be S & M. Or something like that. ;->
>
> Alex Clark/Henry of Maldon

Speak for yourself, Vanilla Boy ;-D

Actually, it just occurred to me that I have a picture of a 'Birth of
the Virgin' scene, that shows two eggs on a platter near St. Anne- about
the size of modern goose eggs, that is to say, quite large. Is there a
period 'standard egg', or are they varied and a cook would adjust
quantity- like we might?

As I understand, actually skeleton measurements, etc., indicate that the
people were pretty close to the same size we were, with slight
variations down in teh events of severe famine.

'Lainie