SC - Sweets to the sweet, have some fruitcake...

cclark@vicon.net cclark at vicon.net
Tue Dec 14 22:36:05 PST 1999

"Laura C. Minnick" wrote:

> LrdRas at aol.com wrote:
> >
> > In a message dated 12/14/99 9:49:15 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> > grizly at mindspring.com writes:
> >
> > << cactus >>
> >
> > What product is brewed from cacti?
> >
> > Ras
>
> Gee- isn't tequila made from the agave cactus? Or was I sitting in the
> back of the classroom and mis-heard again?
>
> 'Lainie

I believe tequila is a generic term for distilled spirits, and in
practice it can be distilled from a variety of sugar sources.

Yes, it seems many of us were sitting in the back of the classroom: I
know I've read that mescal is derived from cacti, but the dictionary sez
agave is an amaryllis. Possibly it's confused with cactus because of its
waxy, succulent nature. It may even be more closely related to a cactus
than a turnip is to a banana.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy