SC - OOP Recipe request

Christina Nevin cnevin at caci.co.uk
Wed Dec 15 02:26:58 PST 1999

ÚlfR wrote:
>Do you have any more precise cites?

Not at the moment but I´ll try to remember to look up the law text in
Grágás, and others if I can remember where to find them.

I´ll find some recipes and post them later today - no period ones, though, I
don´t think there are any (but the plant was certainly much used in period).

>> life, with a sheer drop of hundreds of meters into the ocean below. But
he
>> was too much of a man to yell for help ... (sorry, I´m quoting from
memory

>The sagas authors was big on that kind of things. Though Grettirs
brothers comment of broad-bladed spears is probably my favourite.

"Þau tíðkast nú in breiðu spjótin" - oh yes, that one is still very much
loved and used by Icelanders - it is something you say when someone fires a
broadside at you, or uses a very heavy argument, for instance. For those not
familiar with Grettis saga, here is the description of Atli´s murder (not my
translation this time):

"Then he went to the outer door and saw nobody there. It was raining hard,
so he did not go outside, but stood holding both the door-posts with his
hands and peering round. At that moment Thorbjorn sidled round to the front
of the door and thrust his spear with both hands into Atli's middle, so that
it pierced him through. Atli said when he received the thrust: "They use
broad spear-blades nowadays." "

Nanna