SC - what to do in Dallas

Pink Sunshine pinksunshine at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 15 15:19:16 PST 1999

Jeff Gedney wrote:

> OH, you LUCKY LUCKY LUCKY woman!!!
>
> I LOOOOVE venison!
>
> I am not sure, but I think that a good broth can be made if you brown the bones first, and then use beer instead of water....
>
> I think that that is what my aunt used to do with 'em...
> She has one recipe for bambi stew meat that I do like
> IIRC, I think that it is to dust the chunks with flour, and braise in butter and onions and lots of beer...
> Gawd it's been years...
>
> Brandu
>
> (I hope you saved some of the innards...
> Venison heart, sliced thin, peppered, breaded, lightly fried in oil and then braised in red wine... yummm)

Thanks for the suggestions.  We don't do beer here (We're LDS),
but I'll try browning the bones with some of my jerky
marinade...   My husband and I give the heart and liver to an
eldery friend of ours who has no sons to hunt for her and she
needs the higher nutrition level of the organ meats than we
do...

I just wish that the doe hadn't been multi shot.  Steve got it in
one shot, but it had been hit by someone else and took off
running... she had a large chunk missing from her back, just
barely missing the spine. I lost a fair chunk of back loin meat.
At least the tenderloin was properly intact! :) Unfortunately,
Steve's shot ruined the neck meat (which I've used for wonderful
saurbraten in the past) and part of the ribs.

I'm sketching plans for the brick and stone barbeque pit we are
going to build in our back yard next year... if Steve gets one
during the archery season and it's warm enough to cook outside,
I'm going to pit barbeque or rotisserie the beast!

Bernadette