SC - Re: Egg Sizes

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Dec 15 23:35:22 PST 1999

I'm just an SCA baby - i've only attended two feasts (not counting
Shire potlucks) in 7 months, and now i'm going to be a Kitchen
Steward, so I'm thinking in advance of the feast i have to Steward -
a year from now. The feast is The Boar Hunt, so there are pork
preparations served at several courses. It's smallish, only between
50 and 100 people. And it isn't set in any particular time period,
just Medieval Europe, so no pressing time or culture constraints.

I must say that there have been multiple requests to NOT serve
armoured turnips *again*. And the cabbage with vinegar and spices was
not a big hit either. And the boiled leafy greens were uniformly
rejected (but i don't think they were seasoned). But the
baked/roasted mix carrots, parsnips, and turnips were mostly eaten.

I know i have to do research and turn up some recipes myself, but i
thought i'd ask experienced feast planners what late fall/early
winter vegetables you've served and people have actually eaten :-)
I'm not exactly asking for recipes (although if you want to share
any, they will be appreciated), but rather, pointers to what SCA
folks seem to actually *like to eat*.

Since my computer crashed in early October i lost any prior threads
i'd found interesting, so i can't just look back into my saved
messages stash, but i certainly will plunge into the Florilegium, and
i have an ok selection of cookbooks (not extensive, but a good
start), but neither the Florilegium nor my cookbooks can tell me if
the recipes actually were gladly eaten by the majority of diners :-)

Thanks

Anahita al-shazhiya
not panicking yet, i have nine months to do that in