SC - potatoes

Lilinah biti-Anat lilinah at grin.net
Thu Dec 16 00:03:00 PST 1999

Ras said:
> They were perhaps goose eggs or duck eggs? Geese are allegorical so
> goose eggs would be my guess. Oftentimes, we forget that in our
> agriculturally deprived society chicken eggs are what is available to us for
> cooking in general while until the very recent past goose, duck and chicken
> eggs would have all been used more or less equally in frequency of use.

Yes, I think goose or duck eggs are possible, but upon what do you base your
comment that "goose, duck and chicken eggs would have all been used more or
less equally in frequency of use"?

Both of those are aquatic, right? And require a fair amount of water. Water
was
not that common, especially ponds and watercourses, for many, particularly the
lower classes. And particularly for those in towns. Whereas a couple of chickens
could easily be raised in a small town yard.

> However, I am personally leery of using a 17th century painting to define egg
> sizes in previous centuries as much as I would be leery of defining 17th
> century egg sizes by viewing pictures of 20th century eggs.........

Ok, although I think using the 20th century egg to hypothesis about 17th
century eggs is more likely to be in error than hypothesising 14th century
eggs from 17th century eggs as I think the likelihood of change is greater
for the more recent period.

> Ras

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net