SC - potatoes

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Dec 16 03:22:50 PST 1999

On Thu, 16 Dec 1999 01:05:45 -0600

>Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net> wrote:

>Perhaps. And selective breeding did take place in the Middle Ages. However,
>I'm not at all convinced they thought of things in this meat or egg basis.
>I think you are bringing too much of a 20th century factory farm mindset
into
>this. I really question whether they would have thought
>"Likewise, smaller hens who produce larger eggs take up less
>coop space and eat less feed, resulting in more compact and more efficient
>egg production and more profit." when the chickens were generally left to
>eat what they would on a free-range basis. Do we have any evidence of
>chickens being fed grain, even in winter?

If you took my remarks as period reference, Stefan, I am sorry for
being insufficiently clear.   My remarks were directed at the outcome
of selective breeding when you select for two distinct and different
paths (i.e. maximizing meat or egg production).  This was a general
observation on what took place (mostly post-period) that has resulted
in many modern breeds being specialized.   The profitability of the
chicken as it was selectively developed for both purposes was however,
the key factor (in period) to the decline of raising geese and ducks.  I
have
raised geese and chickens, so I have some direct experience (and
some incredibly funny ones) with them.  You have no idea how much
flak was generated when someone told a local peer that "Akim can't
come to the phone right now. He's out back wringing Duchess _'s
neck."  I confess I shouldn't have named my geese after some of the
local peers and tin hats, but they acted so much the same at times.

I also have some very good data for early and widespread use of the
turkey (the American species) in period times too if anyone is interested.
My sources contradict a great deal I have seen in other sources.
It's 3:00 AM however, so I will have to write about it at some future date.

Akim Yaroslavich