SC - egg sizes

Hupman, Laurie LHupman at kenyon.com
Thu Dec 16 07:59:41 PST 1999

I was also concerned about serving a lot of greens at my first feast
(the going notion around here is "green stuff is what food eats"),
but I went ahead and did it anyway!
Guess what?
They ate it and they liked it!
I used several recipies from an Ordinance of Pottage, which is taken
from a manuscript at the Beineke Library at Yale, as my base.
See my website describing that event for more info...
  http://members.iconn.net/~gedney/Recipes/bdayfeas.htm

here is how I served the "rabbit food" ( these recipes serve 104 ):

Buttured Wortys
original:
Take al maner of good herbes that thu mayste get. Peke hem,
weshe hem, hewe hem; boyle hem in fayre water. Put butter
therto, clarified, a grete dele, when they be boyled ynow.
Salte hem; let none otemele come theryn. Dyse bred to smale
gobbettys, and do in dishes, and powre wortys theruppon, and
serve hem forth.

My interpretation:
Two large bunches Turnip Greens
Two large bunches Mustard Greens
Two large bunches Collard Greens
One large bunch Italian parsely
3 lbs butter
About 16 cups plain untoasted white bread croutons
Stem and coarsely chop greens and parsely. Lightly Parboil them
(until wilted and bright green) and sieve out the water. Melt and
clarify butter and mix with the greens. Pour mixture over croutons
in bowls, and serve.

Sallet
(Notes on this recipe:
The Common wisdom around my Barony is that salads are not
usually eaten, that often almost as much salad is returned to the
kitchen uneaten as is sent out.
I hoped that that would not be the case, as I wanted to have a
green in every course. My philosophy was to have each course
more or less complete, with meat, at least one green, and at least
one starch, and one sweet thing.
There are only so many servings of boiled green stuff that I would
eat, so I wanted a nice salad in the second course as a contrast.
Since there were no sallet recipes in the source book that I was
using (Heiatt and Butler's "An Ordinance of Pottage" which is entirely
taken form a single document in Yale's Beineke Rare Book Library),
I turned to the roughly contemporaneous "Forme of Cury", and got
a nice recipe there.
Here I had couple of glitches: I had used up too much of the
Vinegar in the Cameline sauce in the frst course, so I was forced to
substitute Lemon Juice (which I had on hand) for the vinegar, and I
forgot to put in the rosemary)

Original
Take parsel, sawge, garlec,chibollas,onyons, leeks, borage, myntes,
porrectes, fenel, and ton tressis, rew, rosmarye, and purslayne.
Lave, and washe hym clene: pyke hem, pluck hem small with thyne
honde, and myng hem wel with rawe oyle. Lay on vinegar and salt,
and serve hit forth.

What I did.
3 bunches of green leaf lettuce
3 large bags of spinach
3 bunches "Italian" flat parsely
4 or 5 large leeks
2 or 3 bunches scallions
2 handfuls fresh mint leaves
2 handfuls fresh sage leaves
2 handfuls fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup lemon juice (or vinegar ;-) )
1/4 cup kosher salt
1 to 1 1/2 cups extra virgin olive oil
Rinse and pick out the stems from the herbs and spinach. Rinse and
cut (or tear) the lettuce into smallish pieces. Clean the scallions and leeks,
removing the sand, and coarsely chop up the green parts and only a little
of the whites.
Mix everything and distribute into 14 large bowls. Splash on the oil, and
sprinkle with salt. Just before serving splash with the lemon juice (or
vinegar ;-) ), toss and serve.

The borage called for in the original recipe would be fabulous here. I just
couldn't obtain any. If you can get it the electric blue flowers are striking!
(and very tasty!)

Jowtys
original:
Take Kawlys & Parcellye and othir good herbes. Perboyle hem welle
yn water. Presse out the watyr; hew hem right smalle, or grynd hem. And
yf thu wylte, thu may hew a lytylle fat porke therwyth, and grynd hit therwuth;
and temper hit up with swete broth. Look hit be somdell chargeaunt of the
herbes. Do hit in a pot, Boyle & alye hit up a lytylle therwith. And yf thu
wylte, thu may draw bredde with sum of the brothe. Then salt hem, and
serve hem forth with ribbys of bacon, or with fat flesche, yf thu wylte.

What I did:
3 large bunches kale
3 large bunches broccoli rabe
2 large bunches flat italian parsely
1 40 oz can chicken broth
Optional:
- --2 or 3 lbs of salt pork or "fatback", poached and finely diced.

Rinse and chop the greens into 1/2 inch chunks, and put into a pot of
boiling water (along with the optional diced pork). Parboil the greens until
just tender, and still bright green (the rabe will still be a little undercooked).
Drain off the water, and add the broth, and stir, return to heat, and stir
constantly until the mixture is heated through. Distribute between the
serving dishes and serve it up.

brandu