SC - Cinnamon

cclark@vicon.net cclark at vicon.net
Thu Dec 16 14:46:21 PST 1999

>Do we have any evidence of
>chickens being fed grain, even in winter?
>
>**************************
>
>Brother Johann (the chicken guy in the Midrealm) told me not too long ago
>that he's experimenting with some period diets for his poultry.  I don't
>know what his sources are, but it sounds like there's something out
>there...

I have seen recipes for mixtures to feed chickens, but was under the
impression that these were "last meals", or last week of meals meant to
fatten the bird and/or to clean out any off flavor that may get into the
meat from a foraging diet. Or, perhaps in hopes of fattening up that raggedy
old hen into something worth cooking.

Oh, sources.  I've been reading Digby and Markham so I'm guessing that's the
place I read this.  I'm at work without the books, so I can't look to be
sure.

Bonne