SC - malt

Mordonna22@aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Fri Dec 17 04:22:11 PST 1999

Pink Sunshine wrote:

> I'd really like some meat and cherry recipes.

>From BL MS Add. 46919 (He), published in "Curye On Inglysch" as _Diuersa
Cibaria_ .

"14. Scirresez. Milke of alemauns i(th)ikked wy(th) amydoun, chiseberien
igrounden wi(th)outen (th)e stones, a pertie of sucre so (th)at hit beo
wel isauored of cheseberien, vlehs gret, & cheseberien istreed abouen;
(th)e colour is red."

OR

~ 14. Cherries. Milk of almonds thickened with wheat starch, ground
pitted cherries, some sugar to bring out the flavor of the cherries,
flesh great (i.e. slices or chunks in serving size of roast or boiled
meat: maybe lamb or mutton or boiled fresh ham), & garnished with
cherries on top. The color is red.

Very rough quantities might be (I'm guessing here):

1 1/2 - 2 cups almond milk made from a pint of boiling water and 1/2 cup
ground, blanched almonds whizzed up in  the blender and strained
1 1/2 Tbs wheat starch, dissolved in a little water or cherry juice
1 to 1 1/2 pounds cherries, weighed after pitting
3-4 Tbs sugar or to taste (sparingly!)
2 lbs hunk-o-meat, roast or boiled, cut in small medallion-sized slices
or cubed
optional red coloring agent of your choice: maybe red sandalwood if necessary
salt to taste

Puree about 3/4 of your cherries using a mortar, food mill, food
processor or blender. Watch out for pits if using a power tool to avoid
getting cherries on the ceiling. (Yes, I speak from experience.) Reserve
the rest of the cherries as a garnish.

Combine the pureed cherries with the wheat starch slurry and most of the
almond milk in a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
Simmer briefly until thickened. Skim off any foam that may arise. Adjust
the thickness by cooking it down a bit if too thin, or by thinning with
the last of the almond milk if too thick. You want the sauce to coat the
meat but not stand up on its own. Add sugar and salt to taste (I believe
in adding salt to almost everything -- just don't overdo it.)

If your meat is hot, arrange in a deep serving dish and pour the sauce
over. If cold, you can reheat the meat (especially if cubed) in the
sauce and pour it all in the serving dish. Garnish with the remaining
pitted cherries.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy