SC - Need venison advice!

WOLFMOMSCA@aol.com WOLFMOMSCA at aol.com
Sat Dec 18 04:36:26 PST 1999

Joachim Von Schwabia wrote:
> ... I don't think it will take to much for me to transfer my skills in
>the Culinary Arts to Medieval recipes. ...

That's probably true. You seem to be more experienced than most SCA cooks.
But there is one thing to watch out for. Experienced modern cooks are
sometimes tempted to substitute modern methods for period ones (e. g.
replacing bread crumbs with roux in a sauce). This tendency applies
especially to things that were taken for granted in many period recipes, and
are not easy to look up (such as pastry or comfits). This can result in
missing opportunities to learn more about period cuisine.

But if you are careful in your research, I expect that you will progress
quickly in the art of Medieval cookery. As for sources, Duke Cariadoc and
Mistress Elizabeth have relatively reliable interpretations of period
recipes in their _Miscellany_, and they also have a large compilation of
reprinted period cookbooks, including some translated from several languages
into English. Other than these, the first source that I like to recommend is
_Curye on Inglysch_ by Hieatt and Butler, which is a redaction of cookbooks
and recipes from 14th century England. If you know German, another thing
that might be worth looking for is a collection of transcriptions titled
_Aus Kochbuechern des Vierzehnten bis Neunzehnten Jahrhunderts_. It includes
some period cookbooks, though I thought its glossary left something to be
desired (as I recall, they guessed that "cubeben" were "ziwiben" rather than
identifying them as a spice). I don't use it myself, because I don't know
that much German.

Two web sites worth looking at are http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/food.html and
info for _Serve it Forth_, an SCA-based cookery periodical.

Hope this helps you on your way.

Henry of Maldon/Alex Clark