SC - Shredding suet - was Christmas pudding experiment.

Christi Rigby christirigby at pcisys.net
Sat Dec 18 08:47:27 PST 1999

In a message dated 12/18/99 1:45:06 AM Eastern Standard Time,
stefan at texas.net writes:

<< I wish the cooks at one of our baronial feasts had known this trick. I
think
 I can remember having venison only twice, both at SCA feasts. At one of the
 feasts, we ended up with venison stew because our hunters had not been as
 skilled (or lucky?) as they had been proclaiming they would be so the cooks
 had to change the menu to make the venison go further.

That was exactly our reason for using this technique.  We were expecting a
whole deer.  We didn't get one.  We got flagged by a beauty (Such a rascal.
I've got a 30-30 round with his picture on it), but didn't get a thing.  So,
we raided Grandpa's freezer, got a couple of grocery bags full of chunks
(variety of cuts, so nothing really useable as "flesche).  I made mincemeat
out of the meat bits, and then we rendered down everything else.  It took
long hours.  But the broth was gorgeous when it was done.  Countess
Carmenette, the feastcrat, actually has the documentation for the process.
When she's done wheezing with bronchitis, I'll grab it from her.

Walk in peace,
Wolfmother