SC - cherries

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Dec 18 19:33:35 PST 1999

> oftraquair at hotmail.com writes:
> << Oh, sources.  I've been reading Digby and Markham so I'm guessing that's
> the
>  place I read this.  I'm at work without the books, so I can't look to be
>  sure.
>
>  Bonne >>
>
> The are many period agricultural manuals which cover the details of animal
> husbandry and crop production. More of them than cookery manuals.  Folger's
> had a couple of them displayed when we visited that exhibit. Unfortunately, I
> don't have any in my collection of books and am not aware of any that have
> been republished in modern times.

> Ras

Those interested in the subject of period agriculture and interested in
period manuals and their reprints might want to look at this bibliography
in the PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES section of my Florilegium:
p-agriculture-bib (19K)  3/23/99    Bibliography of period agricultural
                                       practices by Laurie Brandt (Pegasus)

This bibliography lists a large number of period books as well as some
secondary sources. As Ras mentions, most of these period manuals have not been
republished or if they have were republished in the 19th century or early in
this century. But some have been and perhaps some folks can find sources
of reprints not mentioned in this bibliography. It is a start.

There is also this file in the same section, and it has both primary and
secondary sources given. I think more of these have been reprinted, but
it concentrates more on gardening than broader agricultural production.
gardening-bib      (9K)  6/ 3/99    Bibliography on medieval gardening
                                       by Raisya Khorivovna.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net