SC - potatoes

Mordonna22@aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Sat Dec 18 22:17:59 PST 1999

Joachim wrote:
>What I really would like to learn from all of
>you is how to research for Medieval recipes and where
>to find good books on the subject.

I have 3 decent Medieval cookbooks, which contain both original
recipes and the authors' redactions (sometimes questionable).
* "Pleyn Delit: Medieval Cookery for Modern Cooks" by Constance B.
Hieatt, Sharon Butler, and Brenda Hosington
* "The Medieval Kitchen: Recipes from France and Italy" by Odile
Redon, Francoise Sabban, and Silvano Serventi
* "Early French Cookery: Sources, History, Original Recipes and
Modern Adaptations" by Terrence Scully and D. Eleanor Scully

I also have
* "Apicius : The Roman Cookery Book by Barbara Flower and Elisabeth
Rosenbaum, a Latin cookbook used even in the time of Charlemagne.
* "A Taste of Ancient Rome" by Ilaria Gozzini Giacosa, Anna Herklotz,
trans., with recipes from a number of different authors from
Antiquity.

And i have some Medieval Persian and Andalusian recipes, including a
photocopy of David Waines' "In a Caliph's Kitchen," with its
mouthwatering photos and questionable redactions.

I also have the quasi-Medieval book, "A Drizzle of Honey: The Life
and Recipes of Spain's Secret Jews" by David M. Gitlitz and Linda Kay
Davidson, with its late 15th century Spanish Jewish recipe
reconstructions, although i wish there were more original recipes in
the book. It certainly demonstrates how eating certain foods or
combinations of food could get you killed.

I'd be happy to bring them to an event and spend time pouring over
them with you, when you aren't bashing on other folks encased in
steel or cooking luscious modern food...

Of course, i have a few other books in my wish list, such as Milham's
translation of Platina, Cindy Renfrow's "Take a Thousand Eggs or
More", and Lord Cariadoc's 2-vol. collection

Anahita al-shazhiya