SC - Late Fall/Early Winter Vegetables

CorwynWdwd@aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Sun Dec 19 14:56:09 PST 1999

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Elysant answered Admantius' question with:
> > Well this is not a taker for the Gold Medal Master A., but there is a
> > tradition
> > we have in Britain, (not done so much these days) that the top tier of an
> > iced Wedding cake is supposed to be kept for use as a Christening cake for
> > the first born....  I'm wondering if the Royal Icing helps preserve the
> > cake....?
>
> Here, the tradition is to save it for the first wedding aniversery. From
> personal experience, and other reports, I can say it is usually not very
> good by then. Maybe the British have their first born much sooner or
> they have stronger stomachs. :-)

What sort of cake are the top layers of wedding cakes in your
area made of?  Since the traditional British cake is a heavy,
generally alcohol-infused, fruitcake, I'm not surprised it lasts
for years.  But my wedding cake top was of a light "white" cake
batter, of a similar texture to pound cake but not quite as
heavy.  It did not last until our first anniversary--when we cut
it, the white cake had all sorts of multicolored colonies
interspersed... YUCK!

And to the gentle who suggested that I use apple cider or orange
juice in the dried fruit fruitcake--Thank you very much for that
suggestion.  Merry Christmas!

Bernadette
- --
Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.