SC - "Old Food"

Kerri Canepa kerric at pobox.alaska.net
Sun Dec 19 23:01:20 PST 1999

On Sat, 18 Dec 1999 LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> It is especially hurtful when I am told that I couldn't possibly 'benefit'
> from access to particular records because I 'wouldn't know what to do with
> them.' Bitter? Yes, maybe a little, but then I feel that I am justified
> because of the treatment I have received in the past regarding my avocation.

Not saying anything about your qualifications (you certainly know more
than I about period Islamic cooking, not that that says very much), but
try to look at the issue from their perspective. Museums and university
libraries gets lots of requests -- of all kinds -- from "the public".
Some of them are serious scholars, some are interested and more or less
well read laymen, and some are more or less nutcases.

The quick and easy way to tell those that (presumably) know something
about the subject from the rest is to look for the degree. Wrong?
Perhaps, but much, much, easier than spending time on everyone who wants
assistance, only to discover that they are looking for evidence to prove
that the vikings used a compass, since it is obvious that you could not
have sailed to Peru without one, which the legends of Kon-Tiki clearly
indicate that they did (using the telly special on Heyerdahls Kon-Tiki
expedition as supporting evidence).

My suggetion is to write them a letter where you outline your needs (as
it pertains to them[1]), explaining your question and the background to
it (with references to the academic litterature included). Basically the
same thing the academic scholar would do if he or she wanted access to
the resources. Make it a one page summary (or at the very least include
one), not a 10 page magnum opus; someone has to read it _before_ they
decide if you are worth their time. And if you can't write a one page
summary[2], with a list of (at least) 3-5 references to the litterature
you probably should think again about what you are doing.

/UlfR

[1] "... would like to view the manuscripts foo and bar (in particular
the sections baz), as well as any others relating to the subject
quux..." (for very well defined values of quux)

[2] without pulling the stunt (occationally seen) of using 7 point text,
virtually no margins, and no separation of paragraphs

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                                   parlei at algonet.se
"Life is like a beaver colony: one dam problem after another."