OT? hotel events was SC - FW:[STEPS] Period Food at 12thNight 2000!

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Mon Dec 20 08:06:14 PST 1999

I believe the general evidence is white potatoes were isolated in the Incan
empire until the Spanish arrived.

Although Gerard described the "Viginia potato," it appears to have been a
very recent import from South America, either left by Drake when he rescued
the survivors of the Roanoke Colony during his return voyage to England
after the sack of Cartegena (1586) or, more likely, brought to England by
him, then re-introduced to Virginia in 1587 when Richard Grenville
re-established the colony.

Bear