SC - In search of...Wassil

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Dec 20 22:45:03 PST 1999

I have a burning desire to write to the Food Network and describe the
kind of cooking and research that we do, and talk to them about the kind
of show they would like to do on us.   I would think with an entire
network devoted to food shows, they would love an opportunity to see this
kind of cooking.  Especially in light of Puck's assessment of Sarah
Moulton's version of Medieval Cooking (an episode I missed, but I usually
like her), I think we could represent the art of historical food
recreation pretty well.  On the show "Good Eats", they have a Nutritional
Anthropologist (a job title I want)  and they regularly talk about the
origins of food and food customs.  On "Calling All Cooks", they go to the
homes of great cooks, and film them making their specialties.  On
"Extreme Cuisine", they cover the weirder stuff, but they have shown a
couple of historical houses that serve period (for that property)
cuisine.  I would hope to make it on one of the other shows, and not
point up the weirdness of this sort of food.  I have a vision of putting
on a small Feast/Revel for them, to avoid making people uncomfortable
having the cameras and all at a regular event.   Just think, usually,
when the TV cameras come, they film the fighting and make up whatever
they want about what we're doing.  At least this way we would be able to
show off some of the other aspects of our interests, and to an audience
who can appreciate it!
	So, what do you all think?  Has anyone had any contact with them, or
with other media in regards to this sort of idea?  I've had lots of
experience with Human Interest news stories done on us, I have a 2 hour
video of news clips on us.  We did throw an entire event for a local TV
Magazine once.  It went pretty well, and with them spending an entire day
with us, they did a fair job of interpreting what they reported.
	If this discussion gets too mundane, Poppa will probably tell us to take
it private.  But I am interested to know what the cooks on the list would
show off for an audience like that.  I think a peacock subtlety in some
form would almost be a must ;)  What would be the best techniques to show
both the differences and the similarities of period vs. modern cooking?
	Food for thought, (heh, heh, sorry, it is late) and an idea I have been
tumbling around in my head for a while.  I have not written, nor will I
for a while longer, I suppose, and I will also entertain "No, don't do
it, such national attention is neither desirable or attainable" or
whatever.  I would also not assume it would be me doing it, I would point
out to them there are folks nation (and world) - wide who engage in this
sort of activity.  But yes, I would like to put on that sort of
event/show.
	Christianna
	who secretly longs for a medieval cooking show....