SC - Late Fall/Early Winter Vegetables

Kerri Canepa kerric at pobox.alaska.net
Tue Dec 21 20:15:51 PST 1999

In a message dated 12/21/99 3:50:19 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ahrenshav at yahoo.com writes:

<< Since you do not live in an olive growing environment,>>

I don't? :-(  <just kidding!>

 <<you might consider turning your olive tree into a bonsai, thereby keeping
it manageable to keep in the house. >>

I reserved 12 of the olives to try and get another tree or two started. A
bonsai is a wonderful idea. I have several bonsai now. An eight year old
beechnut, a 3 year old ginkgo and a 9 year old nightshade of some sort. I
also have a key lime with 7 fruits set, an orange in bloom and 2 grapefruit
trees one of which has a tiny grapefruit coming along. All were started by me
from seed. An olive sounds great! :-) Thanks for the idea.

<< However, while it will produce fruit, it won't do so with any abundance.>>

I had not heard that it would. This is even more inspiration to get a bonsai
version going. :-)

<<  But then I doubt that you would do so if you grew it in the wrong climate
 [meaning outside in frigid Pennsylvania]. >>

It isn't that frigid yet. We have had several nights below freezing but the
days have been well above freezing so far.

<< Huette >>

Ras