SC - corn flour? - oop

k&t Radford ktradford at cyberport.com
Tue Dec 21 22:45:51 PST 1999

- --=====================_276990394==_.ALT

At 09:01 PM 12/21/99 -0600,Magdalena said something like:
>Hi!
>
>     I have a European cookbook (I live in America), and a recipe I'm
>interested in calls for corn flour.  Is that the same as the corn meal I
>have in my freezer?

Unfortunately, no. Corn flour is well known in the hispanic cooking circles
as masa harina I do believe. It's what you use to make tamale crusts. It is
much more finely ground than a cornmeal. But, perhaps you could achieve
that if you were to whirl the cornmeal in a small food processor long
enough, or crush it in a mortar long enough, etc.

>And has anyone ever made shortbread with a half and
>half mix of corn meal and white flour?
>
>Thanks
>-Magdalena

I've made biscuits and coffee cakes with a mix of corn and wheat flour.
They were much sweeter, and didn't have as much gluten as a full wheat
flour dough.

Good luck!!
Magdalene MacDonald

- --=====================_276990394==_.ALT

At 09:01 PM 12/21/99 -0600,Magdalena said something like:<br>
    I have a European cookbook (I live in America), and a
recipe I'm<br>
interested in calls for corn flour.  Is that the same as the corn
meal I<br>
have in my freezer?  </blockquote><br>
Unfortunately, no. Corn flour is well known in the hispanic cooking
circles as masa harina I do believe. It's what you use to make tamale
crusts. It is much more finely ground than a cornmeal. But, perhaps you
could achieve that if you were to whirl the cornmeal in a small food
processor long enough, or crush it in a mortar long enough, etc.<br>
half and<br>
half mix of corn meal and white flour?<br>
Thanks<br>
- -Magdalena<br>
I've made biscuits and coffee cakes with a mix of corn and wheat flour.
They were much sweeter, and didn't have as much gluten as a full wheat
flour dough.<br>
Good luck!!<br>
Magdalene MacDonald<br>