SC - Food TV

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Dec 22 20:03:43 PST 1999

Greetings to all this festive season,

Congrats to Philip on his new Flowers and
Rosenbaum Apicius.   I too have acquired
a new goodie and wondered if I had scored
a rare item.  It was on Ebay and I got it for
a moderate price.  It is an English translation
of Platina's "On Honest Indugence and Good
Health" translated from the Latin by Elizabeth
Andrews and published as Volume V of the
Mallinckrodt Collection of Food Classics.  It is
interesting in that on the opposite page of the
translated text is a full facsimilie of the original
Latin manuscript circa 1475.  This edition was
published by the Mallinckrodt Chemical Works
in 1967.  I gather that most of the previous
translations were from the French edition of 1546.
Is anyone familiar with this translation (Andrews)?
Also does anyone know what the other volumes
in this collection might be?  I would be interested
in tracking them down.  It is rather odd to get a
cookbook from a chemical company.  Is their
main product  MSG?

Akim Yaroslavich
"No glory comes without pain"