SC - holiday song

Ann Sasahara ariann at nmia.com
Sun Dec 26 09:38:04 PST 1999

Hi Stefan, hope you had a wonderful Christmas.   Thanks
for the data on the previous discussions of my Platina on
SCA-Cooks (privately sent).  Still,  I was rather shocked to
see some of the stiff  prices some folks on the list have been
paying for cookbooks.   I picked up the Mallinckrodt Platina for
$14.30 and my Vehling Apicius for $7.07 on Ebay.  I NEVER
pay full price for a book unless it so super or rare I will either
a) never see another copy available in my estimated
remaining lifespan or b) it is so good that the second coming
of Christ is more likely to arrive before finding a used copy
for a reasonable price. The unabridged full folio copy of Gerard
I  have came into catagory b, though I did buy it as a discounted
copy at a last-day -of-the-war sale at Pennsic this year.  I figured
if I am going to spend $90.00 on a title other than a scarce
out-of-print, I am darned going to make sure  that the profit goes
to another SCA merchant and not some mundane, giant
bloodsucking corporate bookseller.

My original message was:
>> Congrats to Philip on his new Flowers and
>> Rosenbaum Apicius.   I too have acquired
>> a new goodie and wondered if I had scored
>> a rare item.  It was on Ebay and I got it for
>> a moderate price.  It is an English translation
>> of Platina's "On Honest Indugence and Good
>> Health" translated from the Latin by Elizabeth
>> Andrews and published as Volume V of the
>> Mallinckrodt Collection of Food Classics.  It is
>> interesting in that on the opposite page of the
>> translated text is a full facsimilie of the original
>> Latin manuscript circa 1475.  This edition was
>> published by the Mallinckrodt Chemical Works
>> in 1967.  I gather that most of the previous
>> translations were from the French edition of 1546.
>> Is anyone familiar with this translation (Andrews)?
>> Also does anyone know what the other volumes
>> in this collection might be?  I would be interested
>> in tracking them down.  It is rather odd to get a
>> cookbook from a chemical company.  Is their
>> main product  MSG?

>> From: Angie Malone <alm4 at cornell.edu>
>> >Someone gave me a copy of Platina, De honesta Voluptate Which is Volume
>> >5 from the mallinckrodt collection of food classics which was published
>> >in 1967 and comes in a black box.
>> >
>> >It has it translated on the left and the  untranslated on the right.
>> >The person paid a king's ransom for it.  As much as it would've cost for
>> >the Milham version

snip

>> Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 19:18:04 -0600 (MDT)
>> From: Mary Morman <memorman at oldcolo.com>
>> Subject: Re: SC - Platina
>>
>> I managed to get the mallinckrodt book through a dealer for about $100
>> nearly two years ago.  I was ecstatic when I received it.

snip

>> When nothing else was available, the Mallinckrodt was a God-send.  With
>> the Milham available at a reasonable price, the Mallinckrodt returns to
>> the shelf as a curiousity for the completist book-collector.
>>

>> Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 12:45:26 -0400 (EDT)
>> From: Gretchen M Beck <grm+ at andrew.cmu.edu>
>> Subject: Re: SC - Milham Version of Platina
>>
>> While I would definately get Milham, I would not return the Mallinkrodt.
>>  Mallinkrodt has something particularly valuable to
>> recreation/documentation -- a facsimile.  Milham has only a
>> transcription.  The facsimile lets you go back and check what was
>> written; transcriptions can introduce errors.
>>
>> On the other hand, if you combine the two works, you have a collection
>> that can't be beat for Platina.

I am still looking for information on the other titles of
the Mallinckrodt series.  Anyone know?  Thanks again for
the information on prices.  I always get the warm fuzzies
when I find out I have gotten a good bargain.  Some folks
say I still have the first nickel I ever owned.  Not true!
The second however.......

Oh yes, if I have inspired anyone to search Ebay for bargain
books, my bidder i.d. is "akimy".  Before jacking up the price
too much for what we both may want, drop me an email and
let's talk.  You get no bargains in an auction bidding war.

Akim Yaroslavich
Doleno ergo sum  (Too much glory last year)