SC - OT: Christmas Dinner... :)

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Mon Dec 27 07:33:37 PST 1999

In a message dated 12/26/99 10:14:44 PM Eastern Standard Time,
phelpsd at gate.net writes:

<< Tis Tis Ras I am surprised!   J of C has lots of good practical advice and
 can be picked up as a used book for a pittance  >>

I wasn't dissing the source. I only said it was not very useful to me
personally. I find many other cookbooks much more useful regarding practical
kitchen advice. The Settlement Cookbook and The Boston School of Cooking come
immediately to mind as my first choices. Both of those books, however, have
suffered greatly in their most recent editions so earlier editions would be
the most useful for our purposes.

I also rely on several encyclopedic works on specific cuisines that still use
many of the spices and seasonings which were popular in the middle ages (but
which have fallen out of use in modern Eurocentric cookery) such as India,
Thai, Greek, Spanish and Middle Eastern cooking since those countries still
have highly sophisticated cooking styles which are more in line with that
which was used in the middle ages before the introduction of early modern or
nouveau cuisine in the 1500s CE. I also occasionally consult Chinese cookery
manuals occasionally to get a feel for amounts of certain ingredients. Rarely
do I ever turn to modern minimalist European/American sources as a first
choice when information is needed for a particularly problematical redaction.

Every person has their own unique twist on approaching recipe redactoions. No
single one is more correct than another. If a system is developed which
consistently produces food which is fit for a King then that system should be
adhered to.

Ras