SC - King Arthur's Christmas Tea

Ann Sasahara ariann at nmia.com
Mon Dec 27 09:27:46 PST 1999

Happy Holidays to everyone on the List, and to your loved ones!

	Christmas was a quiet affair here, my lord got home from being a Mall
Santa late on Christmas eve, and we spent the day being at home and not
socializing.  Very rare for us, but most needed this year.  ;o
	I had planned to stuff a pork loin with prunes and walnuts and I knew
not what else.  My lord presented me with a gift that made that not only
possible, but so easy as to be almost effortless!  He has had a desire to
find a damascus steel chef's knife for me ever since we saw a display at
the Ornamental Metals Museum in Memphis that featured several examples of
art worked into the patterns on damascus steel.  After looking in several
knife catalogues, he came to the conclusion that there was no such thing,
and began looking on the internet to find someone to make one.   He found
such a person, by the name of Dan Fogg, who is a master knifesmith in the
business of making collectible knives in Alabama.  Mr. Fogg was quite
intrigued with the idea of someone actually *using* one of his blades,
and was glad to take on the job.  Unfortunately, chef's knives are not
something he usually makes, and the shape of the blade is just a few
hairs off, and the handle (which is done in a wood that will age to an
olive green, in honor of my device colors) is a bit too big to be
comfortable for my hand.  Mr. Fogg's wife was quite anxious to keep my
prize, and so he is planning on making a new knife for me to my specs,
and Mrs. Fogg will have one almost as good!    Aside from it's slight
imperfections, it is a gorgeous blade (and probably the most expensive
Christmas gift I've ever received!)  and cuts like buddah!  I was able to
slice that rather small pork loin so thin (my lord watched me and said it
looked like I was just unwrapping it)  that I was able to stuff it and
roll it almost three times around.  I would have been able to cut it with
one of my other knives (like my Henkel he gave me for my birthday) but it
would not have come out so thin or so even.
	The blade is also marked with a 24kt. gold cherry blossom, the maker's
mark.  As I said, a very special blade.  Yes, I will bring it to Pennsic
next year, and you will all be able ooh and aah over it.  Maybe, if
you're good, I'll let you use it, but, I warn you, it is VERY SHARP!!!
	My lord is quite pleased with himself.  I am also thrilled, but have
already asked what it would take to get a matching paring knife, you
know, he already said I would have to specifically mention this knife in
my will, so if I have to alter my will, shouldn't it be for a matched
set?  I ask you?! ;)
	The pork loin came out great, by the way, I used some fig brandy we
strained the figs out of on Christmas day, some breadcrumbs, a little
sweet spices, and a bit of pickled ginger vinegar.  I then wrapped the
whole stuffed loin in pickled ginger slices and baked.  Served with
whipped sweet potatoes and apples, and some Italian green beans with
garlic.  It was simple but wonderful, and the three of us at home enjoyed
it along with the peace and quiet.   I have spent the last two days
unpacking the china I got from my parent's house, that has been waiting
until my kitchen re-do was done.   With the new mosaic backsplash one of
my proteges and I did this past week, the whole thing is finally coming
together.  Now, if I could only find cabinet handles, I would be all set!
	Here's hoping everyone else got wonderful cookery tools, resources and
gadgets, (oh, I got lemon squeezers like the ones we saw in England, and
some Lemon Curd from my roommate!), and are happily planning lots of
great meals with them.
	Happy 3rd Day of Christmas, are 3 French Hens on anyone's menus this
evening?
	Christianna