SC - redacting

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 27 18:47:37 PST 1999

I just got this from the Burpee seed people, and I thought those of you on
the List who grow herbs might find it of interest.

Phlip

Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio

"All things are poisons.  It is simply the dose that distinguishes between a
poison and a remedy." -Paracelsus

Johnson: Oats -- a grain which in England sustains the horses, and in
Scotland, the men.
Boswell: Indeed, and where else will you find such horses, and such men?

December 27, 1999

The Burpee Garden News is presented by your friends
at Burpee and the National Gardening Association.
Every two weeks, you will receive gardening
news, tips, and inspiration from our panel of experts.
=======================

Growing an Indoor Herb Garden

Even if your climate kisses the herb garden goodbye
for the winter, that doesn’t mean you have to do
without fresh herbs for all your hearty winter dishes.
An indoor herb garden is only as far away as your
windowsill. Basil, chives, oregano, parsley, rosemary,
sage, savory, tarragon, and thyme are especially
well suited to growing in containers. Here are some
tips for cultivating your windowsill herb garden:

* Purchase herb plants or sow seeds into pots filled
with sterile potting soil. With few exceptions, herbs
require excellent drainage. When roots are confined
in a pot or planter, water and air cannot move easily.
To improve drainage, add sharp sand or perlite to a
good, sterilized, compost-based mix.

* If you have the space for an indoor window box,
place the individual herb pots inside the larger box
and fill it with soil up to the rim of the pots. This helps
maintain higher humidity and promotes better growth.

* Most herbs are sun worshippers so choose a
location that receives at least 4 hours of direct
sunlight a day. Grow lights can boost the light levels
if you don’t have the ideal spot.

* In garden soil, herbs don’t need much fertilizer.
But in the confines of a pot, supplementary feedings
with liquid fertilizer or organic fish emulsion are
necessary. Feed herbs once a week when plants
are actively growing.

* When the soil is dry to the touch, add water until it
comes out  of the bottom of the pot. If the water doesn't
come out, the pots have a drainage problem. First,
see if the holes are blocked; if not, you may
have to repot with soil that has better drainage.

Question of the Week
=================
Q. How can I keep my rosemary plant from drying up
and dying when I bring it indoors for the winter?

A. Under high light conditions, such as in your
outdoor garden in summer, plants produce thick,
strong, and narrow leaves. These leaves are less
efficient in converting light energy into food than
the leaves a plant produces under low light levels
because they don’t need to be especially efficient
when light is plentiful. If you move an outdoor plant
indoors, the plant drops leaves because it can’t
make enough food to sustain itself until it grows
new low-light leaves. To give your rosemary time
to grow these new leaves in preparation for life
indoors, you can gradually accustom the plant
to deeper shade for 2 to 3 weeks before
bringing it indoors. When plenty of new growth
appears, the plant is ready to go into the house.