SC - Mistletoe (OT)

Sandra Kisner sjk3 at admin.is.cornell.edu
Tue Dec 28 06:08:41 PST 1999

My newspaper (Austin American-Statesman) had an article on Dec.24 about
Mistletoe. Mainly about how the drought here is making it hard to come by.
But it did have some comments that I thought might be of interest to those
on this list. I've included the relevant sections below.

- ------
Agriculturalists, however, are quick to point out that mistletoe's status
as the Yuletide's most romantic adornment is relatively new.

Revered in pagan cultures as a sexual symbol, mistletoe got its name in
medieval days when scientists believed it grew spontaneously from bird
droppings.

"Mistel" is the Anglo-Saxon word for "dung" and "tan' translates to "twig".
In other words, Mommy was kissing Santa Claus under the "dung-on-a-twig".

Ingesting mistletoe can bring on bouts of vomiting, diarrhea and, in some
cases, death.
- ------

If anyone can confirm, disprove or elaborate on any of these comments, I'd
like to hear it before I put it in my files.

Thanks,
   Stefan
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net