SC - Mistletoe (OT)

Jeff Gedney JGedney at dictaphone.com
Tue Dec 28 07:18:01 PST 1999

Mistletoe is parasitic rather than epiphytic, as it uses its host for
nourishment as well as support.  Epiphytic plants use a host for support,
but take their nourishment from the air.  Both Viscum album (European
mistletoe) and Phoradendron flavescens (the most common U.S. mistletoe) are
classed as parasites.

Here in Oklahoma, mistletoe is the state plant and can not be taken from
state land, where it is protected.  This may or may not say something about
our state legislature.

Bear