SC - information access / Hungarian cuisine

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Dec 29 06:45:52 PST 1999

Hi,

My mother and I have been spending the last two weeks cooking together.
Last week we made Tzimmis which is meat with prunes, honey and assorted
root vegetables.  We used carrots, turnips, parsnip and sweet potato (Yes I
know sweet potato is questionable).  Today we made Helzel.

Take a chicken.  Remove all the skin as one piece.  Sew the skin up one
side to make a casing.  Mix together flour (about 1 and 1/2 cups), chopped
onion (1 small), 2 cloves of crushed garlic, a pinch of salt, lots of
paprika and shmaltz (chicken fat globs).  Stuff the casing and sew it up.
Roast it with the chicken, in the pot with the Sabbath Stew
(Cholent,dafina, Hamin) or by itself.  Sounds like a form of sausage
doesn't it.  I am wondering how period this might be and where I might look
for information.  My cookbooks say that it is period.

SIndara