SC - information access ...

Thomas Gloning Thomas.Gloning at germanistik.uni-giessen.de
Thu Dec 30 05:28:25 PST 1999

Greetings and Happy Holidays to the List!

It is Wednesday and I haven't yet managed to sleep off the weekend, but
I'm here...

We did most of the formal stuff Christmas Eve, because my kids were
heading out of town with their father. Fancy table setting with cloths,
china, silver, crystal, candles, etc. etc., and our traditional ham
dinner. Ham, whipped potatoes, cranberries, a rice pilaf/casserole, a
dish of red peppers and broccoli, vegetable platters, nuts, and a
chocolate yule log for dessert. The ham was wonderful, but due to some
scheduling problems the gravy turned out awful, which was a sad surprise
(hint- if you do the ham in hard cider- don't lose track of time while
it is still in the oven and *burn* the drippings...). The rice casserole
was dropped on the way out of the over, which was sad because it turned
out better than ever before and I could have eaten several helpings...
the yule log is much too rich and quite delicious, but I'd forgotten
what a time sink it is and it threw off my schedule alot. But it looked
cool...

Saturday morning I told James to stay in bed, and I went downstairs and
made breakfast. Dutch babies with lignonberries and sour cream, leftover
ham, sliced apples, a pot of Nutcracker Spice tea, all of which I hauled
upstairs and served on a small table with all the china, etc. Just wish
I'd had fresh flowers. But it felt so nice (and a little naughty) to sit
on the edge of the bed in my robe and eat lignonberries and sour
cream...

Christmas was nothing short of amazing- and many of you had something to
do with it, so sit there and grin while I say thank you! And how can I
thank you enough? This year has been so awful- and to find out that I
have such friends! I got amazing things in the mail, many with no return
addresses or names on them, and James arrived with a Santa sack full of
stuff for the kids and I that he would only say was from 'friends on
Cooks'. Thoughtful, delightful things- even stuff like a box of silk
embroidery thread for Anne-Marie, some books for me (including a
Fettiplace! Whoa!) and even a BIG, beautiful, ripe pomegranite!

I am overwhelmed and deeply grateful for the love and care I've received
from the members of this list and I can't thank you enough.

Two immediate goals- live through Twelfth Night, and find a job! Long
term- find a job and get my health stabilized, and keep that tall man
happy! He's a keeper!

Much love to all of you,

'Lainie