SC - New Year's Foods

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Fri Dec 31 05:26:22 PST 1999

Ras said:
> My Christmas dinner was Mashed Potatoes, ...
> Ham Roasted in Jack Daniels Bourbon, ....

Hrmph. You are changing things. This is not the method you've been
touting so highly previously. :-)

While I didn't do it for Christmas Dinner, Phlip's directions for roast
duck were used for that, I did try Ras' recipe for ham with Stefan's
variations early this week. Since I would normally have bought one of
the honey-cured hams, I decided to buy a cheaper ham and try the
recipe given here earlier. See my ham-msg file for details.

Stefan's variations included using the cheap, water-injected leg ham
rather than the country style dried ham since I can only afford $30
hams occasionally. Using apple juice instead of hard cider. Using
green peppercorns and some kind of unlabeled pepper-like corns and
whole allspice. Using cloved quartered onions since my pot was not
much bigger than the ham and there wasn't room for a whole cloved
onion. And loose cloves and candied ginger. I also rotated the ham
every few hours and basted it with molasses and the honey I later
found. As I had a few spoons of semi-hard brown sugar I crumbled
that over the crevices of the ham occasionally. I also threw a
couple of sticks of chinese cinnamon into the cider.

For about six hours it was cooked at 225 degrees and then I lowered
it to 185 or so for the last seven hours or so.

It came out pretty good. Except that I can't seem to get big slices
of it since it wants to fall apart or shred first. The portion of
the ham that was under the apple juice the longest, which was also
the latest in time, seemed to have a bit more flavor.

The taste actually reminds me more of corned beef than ham.

> And I didn't have to cook any of it! :-)
Ah ha. That would explain the variation on the ham. Was the ham
actually cooked in the Jack Daniels similar to using the cider? Or
is the ham just basted with the Jack Daniels? Sounds expensive to
boil the ham in Jack Daniels.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net