SC - Hops- Brewing

RANDALL DIAMOND ringofkings at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 31 08:54:12 PST 1999

In a message dated 12/30/99 11:21:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
stefan at texas.net writes:

<< Ah ha. That would explain the variation on the ham. Was the ham
 actually cooked in the Jack Daniels similar to using the cider? Or
 is the ham just basted with the Jack Daniels? Sounds expensive to
 boil the ham in Jack Daniels.

According to the cook>

3 cps Jack Daniels and 3 cps water.

Expensive? Possibly. Depends on your current income level, I would assume.
Anyway, I suspect any bourbon would do.

BTW, I don't recall instructing a lowering of temperature and an additional 7
hrs. of cooking when I posted my previous ham recipe. Is there a reason that
you decided to allow this additional time? Also I usually serve my ham in
thicker slices, halved or in chunks.  It is carved after a rest period,
uncovered of at least 15 mins. Carving is done with a very sharp knife. But,
in general, yes the texture is more like well-done meat (which is how it
should be) instead of the lunchmeat texture normally found in store bought
modern injected hams. It bears little or no resemblance to the modern
atrocity which is typically called 'ham.'

Ras